Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A photo op

I don't even know/remember whom I sent this link out to. I think by now though, most whom I'm in contact with know I'm considering teaching English in Korea. Considering? I am going to go, eventually...I think. That is if agencies and recruiters and schools and well, the country in general remove their biases, stereotypes and pre-conceived notions of Asian-Americans. Or, as they're more specifically referred to as Korean-Americans or Gyopos. I admit I became defensive when I first heard the term; resentful even.

Referring to Korean-Americans as 'Gyopos' however isn't what's so upsetting to me, it's the application process I've become aware of since applying to teach English. Most jobs in Asia (I'm unsure about the rest of the world) request with your resume, a recent photo. I'm not sure why the issue isn't up for more debate, even if it is in the loosest of terms, racial-profiling. As some have told me, "If it were an American-based company, this would be grounds for discrimination." What's interesting is that people acknowledge this request for such application materials and it has an effect. Of the recruiters I've spoke with, about 5 or 6, all have informed me, "It's going to be difficult to place you." Cause for questioning identity? Slightly. Discouraging? Yes. Sad? Absolutely. As one recruiter informed me, "...We are highly influenced by Hollywood movie and American thus we have developed biased ideas." Is the film and entertainment industry really perpetuating these ideologies? I wouldn't say they're to blame but apparently they're not helping.

Don't judge a book by its cover? If only book's covers were removed, then we'd have to peer inside.

1 comment:

chris robinson said...

I agree completely. The application process is a matter of ethnic and gender profiling, and it tells a lot of the dangers of applying to teach English in Korea. You're much better off associating yourself with a school tied to one of the universities (like Jonsei). If there is a program similar to JET (for teaching in Japan), then that too would be safer. The corruption you are seeing in the application is symptomatic of a larger disorder.